What is Feliway?
Feliway is a synthetic copy of the feline facial pheromone, used by cats to mark their territory as safe and secure.
By mimicking the cat’s natural facial pheromones, Feliway® creates a state of familiarity and security in the cat’s local environment.
As a result, Feliway® can be used to help comfort and reassure cats, while they cope with a challenging situation and/or help prevent or reduce the stress caused to a cat during a change in their environment.
The development of Feliway®created a new field in veterinary medicine: Pheromonatherapy.
How do I use the Feliway Diffuser?
– the unit is for indoors use only.
– plug the diffuser in a power point in the room most used by the cat during the day and don’t turn it off at night
– place the diffuser near the cat’s bed or common sleeping area if possible
– don’t put the diffuser behind a door or cover it in any way
– don’t put the unit under furniture – the vapour is oil-based and can rise and possibly stain furniture
– the more contact the cat has with the diffuser, the better the effect will be
– consider housing your cat inside if it is a roaming cat or has ‘outside the house’ issues
– one diffuser lasts for approximately four weeks and covers an area of 50 – 70 square meters.
– the vapour produced by the unit is heavy and will sink down to pet level so the height of a room is not a problem but the vapour will be dispersed by strong breezes
– the pheromone has no effect on humans or on your love life!! It is species specific.
What behaviours can be improved with Feliway Diffuser?
– Feliway helps to stop fear or prevent fear and stress-related signs in kittens and adult cats
– It can assist to resolve spraying behaviour in cats
– It can be used to assist assimilating a new kitten into a home
– It can be used to assimilate an adult cat into a new home
– It can be useful for assimilating an introduced cat into a house where other cats already live
– It can sometimes be helpful for inter-cat aggression
– It can be helpful for excessive vocalisation and nocturnal vocalisation
Effects are usually noticed within 14 days and improve further over the first month. Use the units for a least one month.
Total duration of use depends on the condition being treated but can be up to, or longer than, three months.
Advantages of Pheromones
– Ease of use – plug it in and turn on the powerpoint. Ten seconds of work for one month of therapy
– No side effects
– Scientifically proven to be 70% effective for target behaviours relating to anxiety, fears, establishing pets into new territories and other behaviours
A plug-in diffuser complete with 48ml pheromone refill
A 48 ml refill
A spray bottle for direct application
What is Feliway?